Tellico has not always been a trout farm. In fact, this 250-acre property is rich in Appalachian and Native American History. Located in a remote valley shadowed by the Wesser Bald along the Appalachian Trail, the name Tellico is derived from the word “Tahlequah,” meaning rare-peace according to the Cherokee people who historically inhabited the region.
In the early 1800’s, Tellico valley was settled by a family known as Ramsey. Local historians say the Ramsey’s were charged with running Cherokee natives out of the region in exchange for the land in the upper valley. By the late 1800’s, Tellico was a small center of commerce. Fully restored, a distinguished White House built in 1870 still stands on the property. In its day, the house served as a general store, blacksmith, post office, grist and saw mill. The mill was powered by a 25 foot overshot water wheel, and many of the mill components are still here!
“Cradled between mountains that graduate to the north and west into the Smokies, the property slopes dramatically beside Tellico Creek. A waist-high, stacked-stone wall demarcates the land and climbs hundreds of yards up the gravel road that bisects the farm. The wall has been extended over the years, but some part of it has existed for as long as anyone can remember. The landmark white oak that towers above the old farmhouse dates back even further and is reputedly among the largest of the species in the state. Local legend says Cherokee elders settled differences beneath the oak.”
(Southern Living Magazine)